Monday, July 7, 2008

Sailing on White Bear Lake!

OK, this was one of the coolest things I ever got to do... crewing an A-Scow (a 38-foot racing boat) on White Bear Lake, in heavy wind! I just happened to meet someone over a year ago who said his crew occasionally needed a substitute - someone who knows what they are doing. I don't but I didn't want to miss the opportunity. He called out of the blue today, and said be at the dock at 5:15. We raced twice in beautiful, heavy wind, with about 10 other boats. I was the jib-man, and helped with the spinnaker when we were running downwind... never worked so hard in my life. The captain was yelling at us the whole time. The gent who asked me along actually fell overboard at one point. What a blast - I highly recommend it. We got back to the dock just in time before a huge storm hit! You can learn more about A-Scows HERE.

No comments: